Creative Jumpstart 2021

Creative Jumpstart 2021
Join me for the 10th Anniversary of CJS2021

Wednesday, March 12

Soaring through Layers

Today I wanted to share a super fun project I created -- I used only acrylic paint, spray paint, a wood panel and my Sizzix Tools! The beauty of creating mixed media art is that you have the flexibility to layer and layer and layer different mediums using a variety of tools until you get the desired result.


By starting out light and layering darker and brighter colors you have the ability to create a piece of art that has a beautiful depth and vibrancy that is unique to you and your sense of style and color. 


Using Thinlits to create stencils from heavy weight card stock is a great way to incorporate those expensive card-making and paper crafting tools in mixed media art.


Creating stencils from plastic packaging and Bigz XL dies is a fun way to create stencils that last a long time.


You can also use the Sizzix Embossing Folders to stamp designs on your canvas and incorporate lots of interesting texture and designs in each of your layers.

Once your layers "feel" complete you can step away and let the design speak to you -- see what you want to do with it next.


For me, the next step was using the Songbird die to create a beautiful bird in flight. I just love how this canvas came out. In total I think I had about 15 "base" layers before the songbird came out and then several layers after that! It's a fun technique to use when you are feeling stuck and want to create something with paint!

Thanks for dropping by today, have a great day! 

1 comment:

  1. Super glad I got to see your work through Igram and now on your blog. Just abt started going thrubyour posts.. am hanging around here a while!
    I am asunnyellowindow on Instagram and do drop by http://sunnyellowindow.blogspot.com to have a look at the art journal link party.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.