Creative Jumpstart 2021

Creative Jumpstart 2021
Join me for the 10th Anniversary of CJS2021

Sunday, October 14

Happy Ghosts #3

I'm the Guest today over on the Sizzix Blog and thought I would share my post -- head on over to their blog and check out the AMAZING projects they have over there!
________________________________

For this card I'm going to show you how to create a spooky dimensional 6x6 card using the Ghosts #3 Bigz Die, but before I get to the spooky stuff, let me share something I discovered I could do. I knew I wanted to make a 6x6 card -- but I didn't have an Embossing Folder that would emboss the entire piece of Core'dinations card stock. After looking around my studio for several hours minutes my eye caught on a new stack of stencils I received from a sweet friend.....and an idea percolated -- I wonder if I can emboss my cardstock using that stencil -- its just the right size for my paper and the texture is a little spooky too. So I built a sandwich using my Platform, an embossing mat, chipboard, my paper and my stencil -- and it came out beautiful -- and the sanding gave it the spookiest look I was going for.

After I embossed the card stock I used a circle cutter to cut the circle in the center. The distressing tool chewed up all the all the edges (circle in the center included) and it was perfect for the beginning of my card.

To get a little more depth and destruction I curled one corner of the card stock with my finger rolled it in to distress the paper a little more, to enhance the spookiness I added a piece of paper from an Edgar Allen Poe book underneath.

I'm really in love with Core'dinations card stock -- and wanted to add a black background behind my circle but the black alone was to boring. So I made a custom embossing shape using the Ghosts #3 Bigz and two thin layers of chipboard (from a cereal box), glued them together and Embossed them on the black card stock. I used a small piece of sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood to give my card stock a light sanding to reveale my Ghost.


When I was done with the sanding the Spooky Ghost had just the right amount of darkness inside the circle I was looking for.


The next step was to cut another circle in my card base and adhere the Ghost on the inside. I also used the packaging that the Bigz Die came in to cut two clear Ghosts.

I have been wanting to use some Glow in the Dark Glitter on a project for some time, and this was just the right one! A little hint, when covering something completely with glitter I like to after I have applied the glue to the entire piece, I hold it with a clothespin and sprinkle the glitter -- this keeps my fingers glue and glitter free.


After I sprinkle the entire Ghost with Glitter I hold the edges of the already glittered piece and cover any remaining uncovered spots with glitter in my tray. It works perfectly and I don't have to run to the sink every time to clean the glue and glitter from my fingers.


When the Glow in the Dark Ghosts were dry I was ready to do the final assemble for the card. To get a little depth between the Ghost in the background and the Glow in the Dark ones I used Foam Tape to raise them up off the orange card base.


It looks a little messy here, but the foam tape would be hidden with the Stencil Embossed Coredinations Cardstock.


Looks good. The top layer also has foam tape around the edges to help it pop off the card base.


The final touch was a ribbon around the entire card and a tag made with a punch and a white colored pencil. To make the black tag pop off the card I used the edge of the colored pencil to make the edges of the tag white. It looks great.


I'm really pleased with my Spooky Ghosts #3 Card and hope you will be inspired to make something spooky this week as well, after all Halloween is just around the corner.


Thank you Tammy for asking me to be a Guest Designer for the Sizzix Blog this month, I'm really honored and enjoyed playing with the Ghosts this month!

Happy Halloween everyone!

1 comment:

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.