Creative Jumpstart 2021

Creative Jumpstart 2021
Join me for the 10th Anniversary of CJS2021

Friday, January 6

2011 Year in Review: Sticking with It

Sometimes when I make a new hand-bound art journal I take the parent sheet (the paper I start with -- which is usually 20" x 30") and add color, texture and designs with spray paints, glimmer mist type sprays, acrylic paint -- really whatever is handy and in close proximity to where I am working. I do this before I cut the pages up to make the signatures of the book and bind them together. A lot of times the colors and pattern help with a starting place -- to help me MOVE past the white page that is so overwhelming to me.


Sometimes, though that design gets in my way and I want to get rid of it because I don't want that color or design on my page. You can see the page that I started with above has a nice beginning. But, not what I wanted that day, ha ha. I don't like to jump around in my journal as I use it, so I have to figure out a way to go with what's there. It's another way to stretch myself out of my comfort zone. 


If you look close at the image above and compare it to the first image you can just make out the pattern in the upper right hand corner. Even though the pattern on the page set me back for a few minutes, I kept going with it, I think the key sometimes to creating art is to not give up when it gets hard -- but maybe walk away and take a break. Maybe get a cup of coffee, take a shower or even a nap. A nap sounds great right about now, ha ha. When you come back to it something fresh and fun will be there -- waiting -- to emerge. For this page I covered up the design with an image transfer of the pretty flowers, added lots of color and added the letters using a stencil and white spray paint. 


With the completed journaling, more color and letter stencils; I think this page turned out great -- and is proof that sticking with it when the going gets tough is totally worth it. 

So, for today -- think about sticking with it -- or even go back to something you may have abandoned and finish it. It may NOT be pretty -- but the satisfaction of finishing will definitely be worth it! I don't know about you -- but after a while all those unfinished projects start to bug me every time I walk into the studio -- it's better to finish it and feel good than have guilt about it. Guilt in art is NOT a good thing!

Well, thanks so much for stopping by, I hope you have a GREAT weekend! 



2 comments:

  1. I love the 1st layer...then I loved the 2nd layer...and now I LOVE the final product!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow....love the colour and its to striking. great to see the process too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.